Great Deals A fairly Woman Reunion, Ben Affleck’s Cold Feet and a $17 Million Payday: 20 Secrets About Runaway Bride Revealed
by Tierney Bricker | Tue., Jul. 30, 2019 3:00 AM
It absolutely was the film ten years within the making—in more ways than one.
Nine years after Pretty girl made Julia Roberts a star and switched Richard Gere into certainly one of Hollywood’s many sought-after leading men, the iconic on-screen set finally reunited in Runaway Bride.
Released on July 30, 1999, Roberts and Gere yet again teamed up using their Pretty Woman manager Garry Marshall, whom passed on in 2016, for the romantic-comedy about a little city woman therefore scared of dedication that she actually is dashed through the altar 3 x and also the jaded divorced newspaper columnist determined to see her run for the 4th time. Obviously, they fall in love.
Fans sprinted into the movie movie movie theater to understand set’s chemistry, making Runaway Bride, which was indeed when you look at the works well with over 10 years with several other superstars connected to star sooner or later, a more impressive blockbuster hit than Pretty girl, that was released in 1990.
But simply it was more successful, as Runaway Bride failed to captivate critics (earning just a 46 percent fresh on Rotten Tomatoes) and even had one of its stars later admitting it just didn’t capture the magic of their previous film because it made more money than Pretty Woman doesn’t mean. (Plus, one of Roberts’ other iconic rom-coms—Notting Hill—came out simply weeks before.)
Nevertheless, because of Roberts and Gere’s effortless charm and charisma—both separately and combined—and Marshall’s knack for the genre, Runaway Bride has guaranteed an area as one of Hollywood’s many suffering intimate comedies, even when it had been hardly ever made together with an ending that is different one point.
From the A-listers which were initially expected to star into the film in 1991 to Roberts’ very own experience as a runaway bride, listed here are 20 enjoyable facts you might not learn about Runaway Bride.
1. Although the concept seemed tailor-made for Gere and Roberts to have their Pretty Woman followup, Runaway Bride ended up being actually within the works well with over ten years, with several other famous actors set to try out the fighting bride-to-be (times four) and journalist that is cynical.
First up? In 1992, Geena Davis and Harrison Ford had been set to lead the film, nonetheless it dropped aside once the very first manager brought in had problems with the script. Within the next several years, movie stars like Michael Douglas, Demi Moore, Ellen DeGeneres and Mel Gibson were all into the mix.
2. However in 1996, Sandra Bullock ended up being enthusiastic about playing Maggie and urged the task ahead. Until she then had some hesitations–much like Maggie with her suitors–and had been away, with Ben Affleck and Tea Leoni in speaks to dominate, with all the studio liking the basic notion of a more youthful few. Nevertheless when Affleck passed, one of several manufacturers made a decision to approach Gere.
3. Before he signed on to relax and play Ike: “Whenever you can get Julia, i am in. while he adored the script, Gere had one condition the studio needed to fulfill” Roberts, that has initially been not sure associated with the movie whenever she read a version that is previous of script years prior, made a decision to take another appearance. And following a telephone call along with her old Pretty Woman leading man, the film stars had been willing to reunite.
“People have now been looking to get them right straight straight back together for nine years,” studio producer Tom Rosenberg told The Los Angeles instances. “And unexpectedly it happened—it ended up being all settled in a week”
4. The next telephone call ended up being one Gere and Roberts will have to make together, because they had to pursue their Pretty Woman manager to really make the reunion formally complete by directing their love story once more. There clearly was one hitch though, as Marshall had guaranteed to just simply simply take their spouse to Australia for the much-needed getaway.
“They said, ‘Get off the telephone, we should confer with your spouse,” Marshall recalled into the book. “They shared with her such things as, ‘ exactly just How many times do we get the opportunity to do that?’ and, ‘we are going to just take care that is good of,’ therefore finally we stated, ‘OK, I’ll get it done.'”
5. The trio’s provided history made filming Runaway Bride a fairly experience that is stress-free the trio, with Marshall noting a modification of their main character, now equipped with a decade of expertise on sets sufficient reason for stardom.
“Richard was in fact very cautious on Pretty girl, but this time he had been much more prepared to be funny,” the manager said. “Mostly we talked inside our very own small shorthand. All I’d doing had been yell ‘Action’ and ‘Shut up.'”
6. After getting A-listers Roberts and Gere agreeable, the film’s spending plan soared to $70 million, an unusually lot for an intimate comedy. As well as gross that is back-end the movie, Roberts attained $17 million on her behalf dashes through the altar, while Gere pocketed $12 million. The stars shown worthy of these big paydays, as Runaway Bride exposed at # 1 during the package workplace, attracting a week-end total of approximately $35 million, definitely the most useful opening ever for a Roberts film at that time.
7. While Runaway Bride went on to gross over $150 million domestically (and $300 million all over the world), learning to be a blockbuster hit, it received not as much as stellar reviews, with Gere later on searching right right right back regarding the film in a job interview with Entertainment Weekly and admitting, “Whatever that secret was at the movie that is first you cannot make that take place. While there is some stuff that is wonderful the film, it surely did not have the secret associated with the very first one. The expectation it was planning to have that exact same type of delicious magic had been reckless. It had been an alternate film, it absolutely was an unusual time, she was at a various destination, I became in a new destination.”
8. Production descended upon the little town of Berlin, Md., making it the fictional and quirky Hale http://www.brides-to-be.com, Md. for the film, and place near to $1 million in to the regional economy, upped the actual property market and nearly doubling tourism following the movie’s launch.
“We have been completely surprised,” Berlin’s then Chamber president told The Baltimore Sun associated with effect the film had on the town of simply 3,000 individuals. “the film ended up being the Midas touch that introduced our city to many individuals. It place us in the map.”
9. As soon as called “America’s Coolest Small Town” by Budget Travel, hosting the Roberts-Gere car continues to be a place of pride for Berlin, with all the city holding a Runaway Bride thirty days in August to commemorate the anniversary that is 20th.
“People are available plus they like to hear, ‘Hey do you can get to generally meet Richard Gere? what is Julia Roberts like? Can the house is seen by us? Where was the bridal shop?'” Ivy Wells, Economic and Community developing Director of Berlin, stated. “We thought guess what happens, we are going to provide the people whatever they want and so they desire to commemorate the film so we’re likely to get it done up because of its twentieth anniversary.”